Thursday, January 7, 2010

Location Photography - Different types of light sources

As part of our systems and processes brief we are required to take pictures of objects lit by different light sources: natural ambient light, fluorescent, incandescent, sodium, strobe and halogen/tungsten.

As I have already taken the photographs in regards to showing the differences in photographing with the use of fluorescent, incandescent and halogen/tungsten lighting (see post titled "Macro - Different types of light sources at home") below are my photographs taken of objects lit by the following three types of light sources spotted whilst out and about with my camera: strobe light, sodium light (street light) and magic hour lighting!

Strobe Lights

Although it is not possible to show the true effect of strobe lighting via a still photographic image as strobe lights continuously flash in a sequence, it is possible to use a long shutter speed to capture the light they produce.
Whilst shopping in my local town I came across this strobe lit sign in a shop window. Firstly I used a fast shutter speed to capture the movement, sequence of lights within the image then I took the same photograph with a slower shutter speed to capture the full effect of the LED lighting.

ISO 800, F22 @ 1/13 sec

ISO 800, F22 @ 1 second

Sodium / Street Lights

Whilst visiting Hartlepool to watch my daughter compete in a dancing contest as night had fallen, I noticed across from the dancing hall the beauty in which the street lights lit the scenes tranquil surroundings.
As you can see from both of my original photographs the artificial street lights give a warm yellowish glow although I feel that they give an atmospheric look to the overall image.
ISO 2000, F4.5 @ 1/4 sec

ISO 2000, F3.5 @ 1/15 sec

Magic Hour Lighting

The term 'magic hour' lighting is referring to the first and last hour of each days natural ambient light. At this time the lighting is very soft and forms beautiful shadows against the sitter or objects your intending to photograph.
Whilst walking with my daughter one Sunday afternoon I noticed an abandoned shed where the light had fallen nicely upon the side casting shadows of the trees surrounding it.

ISO 400, F3.5 @ 1/400 sec

No comments:

Post a Comment